Phoenix Flash

The Student News Site of Odyssey Early College and Career Pathways

Phoenix Flash

Phoenix Flash

Sexual Harassment in D11

Unstudied possible risks factors for sexual harassment victimization and abuse among teenagers. The connection between risks and factors and perpetration or victimization as well as the history of sexual harassment gender among schools. Reports have found that reports of sexual harassment have risen more than 50 percent going from 9,600 to 15,000. A report from the Department of Education states that sexual harassment in elementary, middle, and high schools have all risen between the years 2015 and 2018.

District 11 board of education president Dr. Parth Melpakam states “The Superintendent and his designee (usually Human Resources) deal with sexual harassment complaints on a case-by-case basis, using the Board Policy GBAA as the guiding resource.” According to the Colorado, Springs District 11 Board of Education Policies, the District is committed to prohibiting discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, etc. The District 11 sexual harassment and racial discrimination policy addresses sexual harassment on a case-by-case basis and would be handled according to the circumstances and overall.

Based on an interview with Dr. Mike Lamphere, dean of Odyssey Early College and Career Options, and District 11 SRO Aron Garmazio, the main reason why sexual harassment occurs is when a couple splits up and one partner wants to mend the relationship, but the other doesn’t. During this topic we talked about TESSA (Trust, Education, Safety, Support and Action), TESSA is the primary agency that helps domestic abuse and sexual assault victims. There are numerous steps that faculty, staff, and students must take to handle a sexual harassment case. In order to avoid getting into a “he said, she said ” situation, Dr. Lamphere says the first thing the dean of students needs to do is listen to all sides of the story from the perspective of the students.

According to the information provided, sexual harassment is a problem that needs to be better addressed, however District 11 has some strong rules and initiatives to assist address the problem and find a solution. Although we feel that sexual harassment cases should be taken more seriously.