Phoenix Flash

The Student News Site of Odyssey Early College and Career Pathways

Phoenix Flash

Phoenix Flash

Effects of The Roe v. Wade Ruling

Up until the summer of this year, Roe v. Wade was a 50-year-old ruling put in place that allowed women the right to get an abortion. However, on June 24th, 2022, the supreme court overturned this ruling leaving every state to make their own laws on the issue. This has left countless women without the support and care they feel they need. There are many reasons why someone would want an abortion. Although most might assume the baby is unwanted, that may not always be the case. Sometimes, all a couple wants is to welcome a baby into their home. Yet, giving birth could result in the death of the mother. This makes the option of abortion so vital. However, the new ruling on Roe vs Wade takes away this option in many states. So, for some, getting the proper care needed meant traveling to a different state entirely. This issue has affected minority groups substantially and immediately. The new ruling has been difficult for all those that are not particularly privileged.

As previously mentioned, abortion is a necessary form of healthcare for women. This point is brought up in a similar article that speaks on the same issue. For example, “from the very moment of fertilization, a woman has no rights to speak of. A state can force her to bring a pregnancy to term even at the steepest personal and familial costs.” (Totenburg and Mccammon 1.) In other words, living in a state where abortion is banned could mean being forced to give birth regardless of financial or personal cost. This is such an important concern because without the option of abortion, the mother and/or baby could be harmed during birth. Forcing a woman to carry out a pregnancy under threat of criminal punishment can instill fear and could force women to search for other methods of abortion. This could mean harmful, illegal, or even deadly repercussions for something that may not have even been at their own will.

Due to the new ruling and any risks that come with it, many women will now have to travel to a different state just to get what should be basic healthcare. This is stated in another article involving what Roe v. Wade means. For instance, “Some women in states that ban abortions will likely seek to travel to other states to receive the procedure.” (Holley-Walker 1) Since some women will no longer be able to get an abortion in their own state, they will need to head off to another state to receive support. To make matters worse, some states could make abortion illegal resulting in criminal charges against both those looking for abortion procedures and anyone offering them. For example, “Some states enacting abortion bans may now attempt to criminalize abortion, seeking to criminally punish abortion providers and the women seeking medical care.” (Holley-Walker 1)

With this, the overturning of Roe v. Wade implies devastating effects for minorities such as disabled individuals, LGBTQ+ people, and POC who already have difficulties getting equal and adequate healthcare. Statistically, queer women are more likely to get abortions than heterosexual women; they are also more likely to be from nonconsensual encounters. Minority individuals as such have often reported discrimination and bias in the healthcare system. Disabled, POC and LGBTQ+ people are at higher risk of sexual abuse and a lack of proper methods of abortion and reproductive care could increase this risk greatly. The use of emergency and dangerous methods of contraception could become some of the only options for these people at higher risk of personal expense carrying out a pregnancy.

Roe v. Wade was overturned on June 24th of this year and has affected so many. Initially, the ruling had protected a women’s right to get an abortion. However, its new ruling has stopped this 50-year-old landmark decision from allowing support to those who need it, resulting in possible harm to almost all AFAB (Assigned female at birth) individuals. Forcing hasty travel to different states in search of support and may even force those with less options to try harmful and dangerous methods to get or perform the procedure themselves. Roe v. Wade is an incredibly important issue that’s overturning is a significant step backwards for everyone involved.

Works Cited:
    Totenburg, Nina and Sarah Mccammon. “Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade, ending right to abortion upheld for decades.” Npr, 24 June 2022, https://www.npr.org/2022/06/24/1102305878/supreme-court-abortion-roe-v-wade-decision-overturn.

Holley-Walker, Danielle. “The Supreme Court’s Abortion Ruling: Explaining what it means for women in America.” Howard University, The Dig, 29 June 2022, https://thedig.howard.edu/all-stories/supreme-courts-abortion-ruling-explaining-what-it-means-law-and-women-america

Fields, Aryn. “ICYMI: Human Rights Campaign Resources on How the End of Roe v. Wade Impacts the LGBTQ+ Community.” Human Rights Campaign, 27 June 2022,
    https://www.hrc.org/press-releases/icymi-human-rights-campaign-resources-on-how-the-end-of-roe-v-wade-impacts-the-lgbtq-community